I love the Barefoot Contessa's Rosemary Roasted Cashews - so utterly addictive with that tango of sweet and spicy going on. I wondered if I could translate it to something a bit healthier, such as garbanzo beans. With some experimentation, I found that the essence of what makes it delectable - the triumvirate of rosemary, brown sugar & cayenne pepper - was easily applicable, with some adjustments, without losing none of the simplicity. These are perfect for snacking during a football game or movie night, with lots of flavor and only a fraction of the calories.
Roasted Garbanzo Beans with Rosemary and Cayenne Pepper
2 15 oz cans of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary leaves
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
olive oil spray
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray and place the garbanzo beans in a single layer. Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You want them to be lose a lot of their moisture, to be crunchy yet not completely dry inside.
3. Mix the rosemary leaves, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and sea salt.
4. After 35-40 minutes in the oven, take out the baking sheet and spray the beans lightly with some more olive oil then pour the sweet & spicy mixture over them. Mix right on the pan and make sure all the beans are coated evenly. Spread the beans onto a single layer again.
5. Pop the pan back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
6. Serve warm.