Now that the holidays are over, I'm actually looking forward to clean, humble eating. Filling and delicious, hot lentil soup is my go-to dish perfect for these cold winter days.
2 1/2 cups low sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
1 small onion, minced
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into medallions
1 carton of crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 cup whole small green lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Saute minced onions until translucent.
3. Saute carrot slices for 2 minutes.
4. Put lentils and broth in saucepan and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Put mushrooms in the saucepan, cover, and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.