I was all set to make barley soup with my Trader Joe's 10 minute barley when I happened to glance at the side of the packaging, which had a most intriguing recipe for "risotto-style barley." After scanning the ingredients list and determining that I had about 80%, I decided to veer off course and attempt my own version. It turns out that rich, creamy risotto barley was the perfect comfort food for a cold winter's night.
(Adapted from Trader Joe's 10-Minute Barley recipe)
3 cups vegetable broth
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup white wine
1 package Trader Joe's 10 minute barley (8.8 oz)
4 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1. Bring broth to a gentle simmer in a sauce pot.
2. Heat the oil in another sauce pot. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, at least 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the barley until coated with oil and toasty, about 5 minutes.
4. Season with pepper.
5. Add wine and stir until absorbed into barley.
6. Add broth to barley 1/2 cup at a time, allowing each cup to fully absorb unto barley before adding the next. Continue stirring and adding broth until barley is softly al dente or soft to taste, about 20-25 minutes. When barley is al dente, add salt to taste.
7. Add parmesan cheese and parsley, stir well and remove from heat.
8. Serve hot and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese at the table.