The keys to a good banh mi are: a good French roll - crispy on the outside, soft in the inside, and really fresh ingredients. This particular banh mi is my favorite to make at home. Quick, easy and has tons of flavor, especially with my "secret sauce."
FIVE-SPICE CHICKEN BANH MI
1 chicken breast, pounded flat
Five spice powder
Fresh French sandwich roll
1/4-inch slices of cucumbers
1/4-inch slices of carrots
1/2-inch slices of tomatoes
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tbsp Golden Mountain seasoning sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1. Quickly pickle the carrot slices by immersing in rice wine vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Generously sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with five spice powder. Heat the oil on a skillet. With the pan on medium heat, brown both sides of the chicken breast until cooked through. Let cool at least 5 minutes before placing in sandwich.
3. Mix oil, Golden Mountain seasoning sauce and fish sauce well in a small cup.
4. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the sandwich roll. Layer the inside pocket with chicken breast, sliced pickled carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes.
5. Drizzle the inside contents of the sandwich with the sauce mixture and serve immediately.